Sunday, July 6, 2008

Coffees of Hawaii- French Roast 100% Kona Blend

Today is another 'Coffees of Hawaii' Coffee- It's a French Roast 100% Kona blend


Photobucket

Upon opening the bag, I didn't even have to look at the label to see it was a French roast. Very dark and oily, this bean has a very distinct smell. Anyone who knows anything about French roasts, knows that this kind of coffee is not just for any novice. You have to like a very burnt taste to your coffee.


The bean isn't burnt really, it's just the taste it takes on after being roasted for a period of time. Basically french roasted coffee is roasted longer than a light roast. When roasting the beans, they pop (or crack) once and then they're closer to a light roast, after a second time, it's closer to a french roast. It's not that common to see a Kona French Roast. Mainly because coffees from Kona or other island areas like to roast lighter, to preserve the natural flavor of the region. And I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of french roasts. Some people think this is the darkest roast there is, but it's not. Many italian roasts are even darker and I've heard of a "Spanish" roast (never seen or had it though) that is the darkest they get. But the longer you roast a bean, the more it's going to take on the flavor of the roasting itself. And this French Roast is definitely no exception. One more thing you might not know about darker roasts either, they have LESS caffeine. Some people think they have more because of how smoky and burnt they taste, but that is not the case. Just a little tidbit of info from me to you.



The Coffee itself is a little smoother than other dark roasts I have had, that is probably because of the Kona. The roast itself makes the beans oily and I can see a very faint film of oil on the top of my coffee as well. It's definitely not as bitter as other coffees. I can even smell a very faint odor of dark chocolate and berry. And the fact that this is a Kona blend, makes it all that more special. I will always have a spot in my heart for Kona coffee, and even though it's a *blend* I can still taste the unique flavor of the bean. Even sitting here with the open bag nearby, the smell of the beans are so potent, they fill the room. I'm definitely not a black coffee drinker (sorry guys!) but this coffee??? I might make an exception...

No comments: