Saturday, August 1, 2009

Chocollage in Norfolk,Va

Photobucket


Everyone thought I gave up on this blog didn't they? Well unemployment adds a whole new level of boredom to life so I thought there is no better time to get this blog back up and running than now. Today's coffee house is Chocollage, nestled in the heart of downtown Norfolk this coffee shop/bakery has gotten nothing but good reviews from their customers so I thought it was a good place to get back on track with my blogging.

To be honest, it wasn't so much hard to find, but hard to park. There is only street parking in this area and so I had to go down quite a few blocks to find a place to park and just hike it back. I'm not complaining, it's actually a very nice area. Complete with houses I could never afford with the streets lined with BMWs and oversized SUVs, beauty always comes with a price.

Photobucket

I walked in and the first thing I noticed was the smell. Oh the sweet smell of a fresh baked goods mixed with fresh coffee, I was instantly in a state of euphoria. The espresso machine they have is a "old fashioned" one (people tend to refer to these machines as old fashioned when in reality they are the only espresso machines worth a crap. If you walk into a coffee house with a super automatic espresso machine, might as well walk right back out..unless you like the taste of burnt turd), but it looks well taken care of. I thought about ordering something with espresso but then I thought about my budget. I decided when I got back into planning for this blog, that I would stick to either hot or iced coffee for the most part. It would just get way too expensive to get into anything fancier. I'd be broke just doing this blog. If I get an espresso based drink every OTHER time I go to a coffee shop then I can save some money. The heart of any coffee shop is both their well timed espresso shots, as well as their regular coffee. It can be the crappiest espresso ever but if you put enough milk and flavor in it, you can cover up any bad taste (believe me, I know...I worked in a hospital coffee shop).

Anyway I just ordered an iced coffee and a black and white cookie from the young girl that was working at the counter. For both it was only a little over $3, so my wallet was ecstatic about that:) Really pretty much all of the coffee drinks are reasonably priced. $3.50 for a breve or $3.20 for a mocha. They also make macchiatos the traditional way..f*ck you starbucks. The rest of the place was dead and truth be told only 4 other customers came in while i was here. I thought that was a bit odd for a Saturday but oh well. Their loss.

Photobucket

My coffee? It was good. I can always tell how good a coffee is based on how much cream and sugar I have to put in it to make it drinkable. I only put in 2 small creamers and no sweeteners. It was kind of odd she put it in a hot coffee cup but I did ask for the biggest cup she had and I noted that the biggest cold cup was only 16oz and the hot cup is 20oz so in the end I guess it doesn't matter what kind of cup it comes in as long as it tastes good. My black and white cookie? Now before I answer this, keep in mind I love cookies ALMOST as much as I love coffee so my standards are pretty high. The cookie...is GOOD. Like, really REALLY good. Obviously very fresh and because of the icing it was kept in a refrigerated case. They serve lunch here as well. Your typical cafe food, soup and quiche and a good selection of sandwiches. I'd probably come back for lunch if it wasn't so far away. If I lived in the area I can see myself not only coming here often but putting on at least 20lbs from the food.


Ok the downsides to this place (I have to be honest right?) First off..parking. I know it's hard in areas like this but parking 5 blocks down and walking isn't my idea of fun. Then again, maybe I DO need to walk off this cookie. Second? Sounds small but there is no music. Just the sound of silence and the occasion tap tap tapping of the barista as she texts away on her phone. Even if its just some soft classical it would be kind of nice. Third? Outlets. There is only one and it's in the corner. I am literally right next to the fridge hiding away in the corner typing away on my laptop. I kind of feel like I am being punished. And lastly the WIFI...I am pretty sure I am stealing off someone else's wifi at the moment.The network they're on was sucky (linksys) so I had to jump on someone elses. Thank you Motorola!!!

But all in all I am very happy with my visit here. The barista was very friendly and helpful and the owner kind of reminded me of my grandma:) I'd recommend it to anyone who was looking for a cozy independent coffee house or bakery in Norfolk. I think the old fashioned bakeries need to make a comeback. No more going to your local grocery store for your child's birthday cake. Even if it is a little bit out of the way for you, this place is well worth the trouble.

No comments: