Friday, February 19, 2010

Civilization in Cleveland,Oh

Photobucket

I first heard about this coffee shop from my brother and sister in law. They lived in Tremont for years and raved about this spot. Then my mom chimed in and included herself in as a fan. So I decided that my next stop would be this place just to see what the fuss was all about.

It was a good thing I had looked at it online so I would know what the front of it looked like, or else there is a good chance I would have driven right past it. The building was built back in 1881. It used to be a Pharmacy, and staying true to history the owners decided to keep the old signage and look of the building just as it was. They also kept pretty much everything inside of it the same as it was back when it was used as a pharmacy. All the shelving is the same, even down to the clock on the wall. I really love the fact they decided not to completely re-do it all. I love it's look, and it feels very homey. Of course they had to bring some things in, but somehow it all ends up meshing really well, the old and the new.

Photobucket

Photobucket

You know what I loved first about this place, is the fact it didn't have the "yuppy" feel of some coffee houses in Cleveland (*ahem* Gypsy*). I didn't see one laptop out, and most of the people seemed very friendly. It looked like the typical neighborhood coffee house.

Well I ordered a soy vanilla latte and Chad got an Americano as usual. We did order a coffee on the way out just so the review could be as broad as possible. My coffee had some latte art on it so I was happy about that. It really doesn't take much to make me happy.

Photobucket

But this is where we get to the downside. My cookie was super stale. Like made a week ago stale. Or made a few days ago and the bakery doesn't get put away at night stale. Either way...it was crazy stale. I mean I ate it because a stale cookie is still a cookie you know??

Photobucket

Anyway Chad got a Hippie Cookie and his wasn't as bad as mine so I guess it all balanced out.
Photobucket

All their coffee is locally roasted at City Roast coffee. I have had their coffee before at the West Side Market. I have to be honest with you, I love City Roast coffee, I really do. I have gotten a few of their different kinds of blends, from Mexican to Columbian to Kenyan. I love the fact they roast in small batches to ensure you are getting a freshly roasted cup of coffee. But I gotta say, today's coffee wasn't that great. I am not sure what roast they had today, and I wish I had gotten a better look at the sign so I could provide a better review. But the coffee today was just ok. Nothing to knock my socks off. Maybe it was old, or maybe I am just used to stronger coffee, but it got a shrug from me.


The Baristas there were pretty nice, kind of quiet but thats ok too. They had a basic lunch menu, it looked just like some paninis and various sandwiches, the usual for a coffee shop. Another downside? No light in the bathroom, totally random I know but Chad had to go and the key was right next to the door (which again is a bit odd) and he had to prop the door open a bit just to get some light. I guess you could chalk it up to an old building but come on, I get scared in the dark, at least give me a flashlight or something!

Also another downside, there was a big crack in Chad's cup. Lots of nice bacteria get in those cracks, and I would think if you're going to use ceramic cups like that you should be always mindful of the fact that they do crack and chip. Just something I would keep an eye out for.
Photobucket


Too bad it's still cold outside or else we could have sat outside or taken a walk around the neighborhood. It seemed like a really nice area and I think when it gets warmer we're going to have to come back and explore it more.

Photobucket

The whole thing (1 latte, 1 americano, 2 cookies and a small coffee) ended up costing us about 10 bucks. Not too bad I thought. All in all, I would come back to Civization. I loved the look of the place, the location was really nice and the coffee was worth the drive.

No comments: