Saturday, April 19, 2008

Bean There Cafe, Chesapeake,Va

Photobucket

I have been wanting to stop at this place for a little while now. Not only because of the things I have heard about it (latte artists, amazing baristas!), but because they host a 'Coffee Snobs' meetup every week where they talk about the basics of pulling a good espresso shot and steaming milk. I figure, if these people are so involved in the coffee world, they are my kind of people. So I made a plan to come and see what they're all about.

After a few wrong turns and frustrating parking lot maneuvering, I found the place at the end of a new shopping center in Chesapeake (a very snobby higher end part of town). It's across the street from a shopping mall and close to a Starbucks, so I wonder how their business is in the morning. I can't really see it being under the category of "convenient" to get to on your morning commute but it IS in a growing shopping area so maybe the afternoon and evening crowd is better. I noticed from their website that they host an open mic night so I'm sure their friday and saturday night crowd is significant.

From the moment I walked in, I noticed the space, mainly because there is SO much of it. From the hugely tall ceilings, to the black floors, there is more space than I can even convey. It's only made to look bigger by the small tables and painted brick walls. The tables and chairs are obviously hand picked to go with the trendy atmosphere. Large paintings and little "cafe' signs give culture to the place, but not too much is needed. I kind of like the lack of clutter. There is a small bookcase in the corner and the cream and sugar station is an antique looking dressing table. Track lighting hangs from the rafters and even the menu board is high above eye level, made to look handwritten for that homey feel. All in all I really like the vibe here. I don't feel like I am being surrounded by yuppies typing away on their laptops, trying to get their work done before they get home. Most people are just reading a book or having a friendly conversation here. There is one couch in the corner and the music is indie and fun to listen to. Not too distracting but it's not putting me to sleep either.

Photobucket


As far as my drink (because that IS what it's all about isn't it??) I ordered an island kiss which is dark chocolate and coconut. I got it iced with soy milk of course. I couldn't watch the barista make it for me, since my wonderful co-worker ordered it for me before I even got here. But I did spy on him a little (without trying to look like a stalker) while he was making some drinks and luckily he was doing the hand tamping. I have become a snobby barista and I tend to think that if you're using a super automatic, you don't really have the right to call yourself a "barista" since there is nothing more to your job than pressing a few buttons. People that hand tamp are more involved in the espresso making process and know when your shots are coming out good or bad based on your tamping "skills" as it were. But back to my drink... I have one word to say about it and that word is YUMMY. I don't know how many shots are in it (my only little baby complaint is I can't taste any of the espresso so maybe one more shot and I would have been good) but it was chocolatey goodness. I think next time I come I will order just a coffee to see how their stuff is. I know I just ordered a prissy girly drink and if I want to know about the heart of a coffee shop I need to order just a coffee. But after working all day, I'm not in the plain coffee mood and I wanted some thing something that will hit the sweet tooth I have. Though I think he should have put the soy milk in a little earlier because I have excessive milk chunks in the bottom of my cup. I know with soy, some chunks are un-avoidable ( just because of the consistency of soy) but my level of chunks are a little over the top:)

The barista seems nice enough, though I notice a little bit of fake niceness. I can't get on him too much for that, because haven't we all faked it a little bit for that tip??? Fake it to make it my friends.

All in all I like this place. I will for sure come back and get a coffee, and maybe talk to the barista a little next time to pick his or her brain about this place and maybe try to get some ideas for my place. All coffeehouses are different, all have their own little niche in the java biz, and this one's place?? Hopefully in the heart of Chesapeake...

1 comment:

CoffeeSnob said...

Hi Traveling Barista...came across your blog while googling any news related to the coffeeshop. Glad to hear you liked it, not sure exactly when you came in, but next time you do chat us up a bit...I'm Amy the owner, Gabbi is the manager and currently we are training a few newbies since some of our baristas are off to college later this month. :(

Thanks for stopping in and taking the time to care about the coffee culture as much as we do! ;)