Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Joe...The Art of Coffee on the "West Side" of Manhattan

Photobucket






Well it looks like my first official review for this blog is going to be a half-assed thrown together attempt. I tried taking pics of the place and my camera's batteries are dead. I tried getting online to no avail either. No free wifi for me:( So I am writing this all on a text editor just so I can get my thoughts down and I'll paste it into my blog later.

After wandering around "The West Side" in Manhattan today, I decided my feet had enough and it was time to stop at this coffee joint my brother and sister in law recommended. Like a lot of New York coffeehouses, the place is small but I managed to find a little spot by the wall so I can plug in my laptop. I ordered an iced soy mocha. I won't mention the outrageous cost or the fact they don't accept credit cards since both these things are a given here in the "Big City". I will mention though the fact the cashier/barista acted like I was imposing on him by asking to give me five ones for my five (hey it was so I could tip him dammit!!) or the fact they used plain soy milk (bleh). The mocha itself was made well, albeit *slow* and turned out tasty. There was a lot of equipment blocking my view so I couldn't see how he was tamping my shots or how many pumps of syrup went into it.

The atmosphere of this place is somewhat chill. But chill in a way that it *tries* to be chill. Exposed brick walls, dark wood floors and small cafe tables make up this little coffeehouse with the typical indie background music playing just loud enough to be borderline annoying. Most of the customers here are doing some sort of homework or paperwork. Only two tables have people that are actually talking to each other. There is a nice "outdoor patio" type area. Just big enough for 2 small benches (hey it's a big city, everything has to be small) where people are sitting and conversing. It looks like those would be the coveted spots, you can sit and relax while people watch and enjoy your drink.

Overall since this was the last coffee place I stopped at in during my vacation, I had high hopes. But maybe it's just that the big city coffee shops aren't the kind of place for me. Overall I thought my drink was good and the reputation of the place is pretty high as I discover that they hold coffee "classes" every month or so. So I would recommend this place to someone that was visiting New York. But for a girl like me, I miss the smaller more personable places where you feel welcomed and comfortable.

No comments: