Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Elliot's Fairgrounds in Ghent (norfolk,va)

Photobucket



First off I should mention this coffeehouse isn't just any coffeehouse. I first heard about this place when I moved here. The mentioning of it is usually accompanied by "you HAVE to go check this place out". But at the same time I also knew where this place was located, and because of that, I knew what kind of customers would be there.


Elliot's Farigrounds is in the heart of the Ghent part of Norfolk. Ghent is the token artsy area. Complete with little quaint shops and restaurants, all local, independent businesses that make a point to stray from corporate America. It's also very...VERY expensive. While the people here make a point to go against the grain, they also stray so far away from it, it becomes slightly annoying. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't detest the smell of patchouli wafting in the air, and I can appreciate the function of big messenger bags. Low rise jeans, hair wrapped up in paisley scarves and tiny tiny tank tops seems to be the dress code. It is your classic hippie boho vibe and it makes me a little ill. Just because those people are forcing it so much it becomes just another trend and fad. But I digress...



Photobucket

This place is famous for being parked right across the street from a Starbucks. And really, you have to admire that. It's giving the big middle finger to the "man" and I like it. They are also famous for only using fair trade organic coffees (get it, fairground...fair trade...anyway) which I'm sure is a huge factor for the locals in this area. When you're dealing with the hippie crowd, nothing makes them drool more then by saying the words organic. I mean the coffee could taste like pure shit but as long as it's organic or fair trade you'll have a crowd. It was built into the upstairs of an old Victorian house, so if you have trouble climbing stairs this might not be a good place for you. But once you ascend the creaky narrow staircase, you are brought into another world. Big area rugs cover the hardwood floors and carefully matching tables and chairs (furniture that is meant to look mis-matched but matches anyway if that makes sense) are placed very well spaced apart throughout the dining area. There is even an enclosed patio area that i wanted to check out, but due to the lack of outlets and my laptop's inability to keep a charge, I was stuck indoors. The music is classic, nothing in the least bit contemporary or modern, which isn't a bad thing. Old jazz and blues plays just loud enough to hear it, but not so loud it's distracting. Artwork covers the walls with patches of exposed brick, and ceiling fans slowly spin above you. I got up to the bar and ordered my drink (iced soy mocha). They only accept credit cards for charges over $20 and since I didn't want to spend that much, I chose to pay with a check. Yes, a check. I can honestly say i have never written a check for a coffee but that's what I get for being unprepared and not carrying any cash. But the barista was nice about it and even explained to me why they don't use the credit card machine for purchases so low. It all comes down to credit card charges and things like that. They had an ATM but I didn't feel like spending $5 to withdraw my own money. We chit chatted about the ridiculousness of charges that banks throw at us during the moments it took her to make my iced mocha (yes I said iced MOCHA Riverview coffee lady!!! F*CK YOU!) and I got my drink, tipped a buck and found a seat. My drink was yummy. I mean you can't really mess up a drink like that, but these days you just never know. I wanted to do a little bit of a back story on this place, but it seems their website isn't complete so I'll do that some other time.


What I do know is the employees that work here have been here for years. They had an opening a few months ago that filled quickly so it seems like a good place to work and when the employees are happy, the customers are happy. I thought about applying when they were hiring but it's too far and I think this type of customer would drive me too crazy with their skim sugar free vanilla lattes. You have to give props to a business that makes a point to only buy fair trade organic coffees, and not just whatever is cheapest. They obviously care about the big picture and you have to admire that.


All in all, this place is definitely a place I would come to again if it was closer. Venturing down to this part of town in an adventure and not one I would want to have on a regular basis. Though with my new job i will be driving past it on a daily basis so maybe I will become more of a regular than I think. Who knows. Anyway I don't have too many bad things to say about this place. Basically it's your classic indie coffeeshop with a "too cool for school" vibe. But if you're anything like me, it's all about the coffee and as long as that's good it's all gravy baby.

No comments: